Monday, August 29, 2011

'Roons #2

My first macaroon experiment was a success! I would probably make them a bit sweeter if they were heading out to the mainstream, but for consumption at Casa Saraprogrammer, these are perfecto. Also, my ancient oven is notoriously random with the heat levels at the lowest end of the gauge. They were ready in four hours. 

I want to make a version with less coconut and more almonds (I found I was a bit deficient in the ground almonds department of my pantry), but for now, this is what I did:

Ingredienti:


Makes eight small macaroons

  • 70g ground almonds
  • 70g dessicated coconut (I actually used shredded and the processor chopped it up further - if you were hand mixing, you would want to use dessicated).
  • 1 egg white. 
  • 1 dsp honey. For hand mixing you should soften this by putting it in a metal bowl set over hot water. Or, if you are not concerned with preserving the 'raw' qualities of the honey, you can nuke it.
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla
Technique:

Put all ingredients into a bowl and mix until a thick paste forms. You can do this by hand or, if you are lazy like me, in a food processor.  It took about 10 seconds in the processor. Taste and add more honey if necessary.

Form into balls and place on an oven rack or tray. I used an oven rack with a cake rack put on top of it so that they formed a grid that the macaroons would not slip through. I wanted air circulating under the 'roons as well as over.

Once the 'roons are on the tray you can either use a dehydrator or an oven on a very low heat (approx. 115). The goal is to achieve a firm, slightly crunchy outside and a still-gooey inside. This will take 5-8 hours, less if the oven temperature is higher. 

If you want 'raw' macaroons then you need to keep it below 45 degrees celcius (114.8 fahrenheit).

How did I get that semi-spherical shape?



After frustrating attempts with spoons, an egg-cup and the ice-cream scoop (all fails), I tried the scoop that comes with the Sana WPC.  The mix was kind of sticky and I had to tap (read: bash)  the scoop on the bench to get the result out. I think this could be improved by coating the inside of the scoop with something like coconut butter or something powder (rice flour? icing sugar?).  

Why didn't I think of that while I was doing it??

I'm sure there is also something like a 'macaroon tray' that you can buy. I will keep my eyes peeled for one of those next time I'm causing pain to The Programmer by loitering in the kitchen supplies dept. 

I hope your Monday is lacking in Mondayitis.  I am reading through a stack of papers on Forensic Risk Assessment. Yes, it's every bit as riveting as you might imagine, and really comforting reading for someone that lives near a large probation centre, not. :-/

Good luck with your 'roons! If you do get to it and make some, please let me know and I'll link it up, yo.

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty roons! I like the shape. Now I'm craving coconut...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the roons girl. This is the scoop I use to make mine http://amzn.to/o47DUg but if NZ is like Oz then they are hard to find anywhere. I picked up mine on a work trip to the US last year. Also I posted on my blog the link to my macaroons but here they are again, http://bit.ly/rrR7KB http://bit.ly/mUbUwE http://bit.ly/oeT0mA http://bit.ly/oevVxt

    Hope this helps. Glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! That is the scoop I need! I've added your link to the Chasing Roons post. Now got to figure out some way to make recipes easy to find on this blog. Or might transfer all of those links to the Sana site recipe section (I am noooo web programmer, I tell ya)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.