Thursday, October 25, 2012

Raw, Vegan, Gluten-Free Ganache Cake



Whoops! I know this was supposed to be up yesterday, but life had other plans. I'm sure every reader can relate to that moment where you realise that blogging today? Well, that isn't happening..

I'm really excited about sharing this recipe. The idea for it came from a River Cottage program. It was the episode where the newly vegged Hugh takes on a raw, vegan feast. The raw chocolate torte on that program was this one, from Laura Coxeter.

Of course, when it came to me reconstructing it, I didn't have half the ingredients and things went in a whole new direction. Plus, pecans are not that common around here, so I decided on an apricot base instead.

Then started 'adding stuff' (chia, cacao nibs, almond butter..).  Haha. Why do I bother to consult recipes?



Raw, Vegan, Avocado Ganache Cake
(Gluten-Free)

Ingredients

For the base:

·         350g dried apricots or other dried fruit. I think cranberries, strawberries, dates or cherries would also be great.
·         tbsp almond butter
·         tbsp chia seeds
·         1.5 tbsp coconut oil
·         tbsp raw cacao nibs
·         ½ tsp salt
For the filling
·         4 avocados
·         140g coconut oil
·         150g raw cocoa (or just use regular cocoa if you are not concerned about the ‘raw’ factor ;))
·         100g maple syrup (again, if you have raw, that’s great; if not, just use what you have. You can also use agave or rice syrup)
·         tbsp raw sugar (or preferred substitute)
·         tbsp vanilla essence
·         tsp salt
·         tsp instant coffee (optional)

Method

Put all ingredients for the base except the coconut oil into your food processor and blend at high speed until it is a globby mess.

Melt the coconut oil on low heat and add while the processor is running.

Press into a silicone baking dish.. like this:
Rinse and dry your processor: you’ll need it again for the next step.

Cut the avocados in half, remove the stone and scoop the flesh into the processor.
Add all other ingredients for the filling (melt the coconut oil first), and blend until it forms a delicious ganache.
Pour the ganache on top of the base, clear a space in your freezer and chill the cake until it is firm enough to be removed from the pan. This cake can be stored in the freezer and, when you want to eat some, simply cut an approprioately sized piece (i.e. enormous) off and let it thaw in the fridge for a few hours.
So delicious, and a very sneaky way to get unsuspecting guests to consume some healthy avocado fats. ;D

The pic below is a version that I made in a loaf pan: both the base and topping are thicker. You can also just make the topping and serve it as a mousse.
Enjoy!





This version has maple-soaked dates on the top. mmmm, mmmmm.

9 comments:

  1. Amazing! Wish I was still in NZ - I would be knocking on your door asking you to SHARE with me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty amazing, and I'd definitely share. It's a bit embarrassing how much I've managed to eat by myself in the last few days actually....

      Delete
  2. Woooooauhhhhhh... Um. This look incredible. I think it's a 'silicone' baking tray, not a 'silicon' one, or am I just being anal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it? I have no idea. I guess silicon is the stuff in computers. But.. what do they put in boob implants? I shall trust you on this and fix it ASAP.

      Delete
  3. Promise me it has no avocado-ey taste and I'll give it a go. My mousse attempts were less than spectacular & I lost interest.

    How did we make ANYTHING before silicone bakeware was invented? Remember all those slices & other concoctions that just would not come out of the tin...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tested it on unsuspecting peoples and nobody thought it tasted like anything but chocolate. I actually considered making the first version of this in a non-silicone tin that was a better size for the mix, but then just stacked it up in the loaf pan instead. I can't handle the cleaning procedure, and who has time to faff around with baking paper like a Grandma?

      Delete
  4. Oh lady... that just looks so, SO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely make it. You'll love it. It's very you.

      Delete
  5. This was really awesome! I don't bake in anything remotely related to plastic, but made it in a spring-form pan and it worked great.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.