Monday, October 22, 2012

How to.. Make Coconut Milk Yogurt




This is really too easy. It's probably not the only method, but I've never had a failed batch, and that's good enough for me.

Start with a bottle of probiotic capsules, and some coconut milk. Better make it fair trade, or organic or something so that you can feel righteous. ;) It doesn't have to be full fat. The 'lite' coconut milk also gives good yog. Most have guar gum added, but this doesn't affect the outcome.

Update July 2014: These days I have been using Ayam Coconut Milk for yog-making, and it seems to be the best.



Pour the whole can into a suitably sized container - I use a large beer glass, which encourages a party atmosphere for the probiotic bacteria.

Empty one capsule into the coconut milk. The technique is illustrated below, along with the last of my winter chillblains and insufficient manicure habits.



Stir, cover and leave in a warm place.


The sunny benchtop works well at the moment. But in winter I just move the jar around the house to wherever it is warm. 

Check daily until the magic happens. You can taste the fermentation (tangy, yogurty flavour) just before it thickens, and if you want drinking yogurt, just put it in the fridge at that stage.

If there is no action after 4 days, most likely your probiotic capsules are dead. In which case, you'd might as well stop taking them as a probiotic, eh? 

Probiotics are quite difficult to keep alive. When we used to make capsules, the probiotic raw material came packed in a cooler and was never allowed to get above 10 degrees C. If it did, we couldn't guarantee the level of live bacteria. I think there are some 'stabilised' versions now that are not so fragile, but yogurt making is a good way to check that you actually have live bugs in that capsule and not on-their-backs-legs-in-the-air, dead ones.

Once you have yogurt, refridgerate and use in the same way that you'd use any other natural, unsweetened yogurt. I can't really tell you how long it lasts in the fridge because mine mysteriously vanishes within a few days. Damn fridge monsters. :D



18 comments:

  1. OH. MY. GOD. It's that easy?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really, really. I know, I thought you had to do complicated things with lemon juice, but no. I can't remember where I read about this technique, I think a friend mentioned it on Facebook. I've never had a fail with the Inner Health caps, and only buy them if the shop keeps them in a fridge.

      Delete
    2. Round one of this I *think* might have been a fail, but more on my part for giving up on it too soon :-/ After two days I went "Pffffff", whoops. I'll try again and let you know how it goes!

      Delete
  2. Sara once you have this started could you then keep a couple of tablespoons to make the next batch i.e. buy bringing the cocnut milk to the boil cooling to luke warm, mixing or shake in a jar then leaving 10-12 hours like with other yogurts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried that, but see no reason why it wouldn't work. The point is to introduce a decent amount of live bacteria. If you try it, and it works, feel free to link it up here in the comments. ;D

      Delete
  3. YUM! This is how I do it too, and I agree - great way to make sure your probiotics are LIVING! Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have a batch that did not make the yogurt happen, different brand.

      Delete
  4. misspip1:31 pm

    Success! So good! I added a TB of maple syrup and started it in my yogurt maker then left it on the bench for two more days. First attempt not so good as I used Ceros brand and the coconut milk was too separate to work properly. Hello TradeAid Coconut MIlky goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also works really well with the Ayams brand. I'm about to try it with homemade coconut milk (expressed from coconut flakes). Let's see how that goes...!

      Delete
  5. I just made this and wow it is awesome! I covered my glass with plastic wrap and after about 30 hours it was perfect. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by the blog! It does seem to take about 30 hours, depending on warmth in the room. Good idea to gladwrap it. Certainly saves the mess when you knock it over!

      Delete
  6. Hi there, I've been trying this recipe but I don't think it's going to work. Still quite liquid after a few days (I put it in the yoghurt maker). It does taste tangy but definitely not "yoghurt" consistency. My question is: do you know if it is still safe to consume like this, after a few days of being kept warm but not doing much? Thanks!

    Great blog by the way, I just discovered it. As a food/health blogger myself, I appreciate how much work you must put into this! Keep it up! I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola,
      What is your blog URL? I'm always fascinated by other kiwi bloggers (my people!).

      Tangy is good, acidic or 'off' flavour is not. You can usually tell when yogurt turns bad, and it's the same with coconut yogurt. Which brand of coconut milk did you use? I've had success with trade aid and AYAM, but my homemade coconut milk just never thickened, no matter what I did to it. The 'lite' coconut milk never gets really thick. There have also been time when, I've 'thought' the yogurt wouldn't thicken but a day later it did. Coconut yogurt takes at least a day longer than dairy.

      The last thing is that coconut yogurt is always thinner when it's warm and will thicken when you put it in the fridge.

      Good luck! It does work! Did you try singing 'you take the lime and the coconut' really loudly while making the yogurt? I think it's the secret.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sara

      Pah ha ha "lime and the coconut" - that is hilarious as my 6 year old son is learning ukulele and that is the only song he can play! Next time I will get him to play that while I make it; clearly that was where I went wrong!

      I'm ashamed to say I used cheap generic brand coconut milk. That probably hasn't helped the situation. I was at the supermarket and they didn't have any fairtrade/organic - serves me right for not taking the time to go to another shop with a better product range.

      Do you think it will still be ok to use, even if it doesn't thicken? It might still be good in a smoothie or instant ice cream I guess? I will give it a bit more time, maybe I'm being impatient. I started it on Monday.

      This is me: http://www.nibl.co.nz/blog/

      Pretty new to this blogging thing but it's a lot of fun!

      Cheers, Nicola

      Delete
    3. Yes, still ok to use, just a bit less satisfying.. :-/ AYAMS is pretty generic, it's not organic, but they are the only one that don't add a thickener. You should find that somewhere in Dunners. x

      Delete
    4. Randomly checked the jar in the fridge today and - BAM! - 1 week after I started making it, I now have coconut yoghurt!!!

      Delete
    5. I am proud of you. ;) The singing did it.

      Delete
    6. Anonymous2:47 pm

      Well whatever it was, it is delicious!

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.