Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Study + vegan noms

This week is packed full of study. The way my postgrad course works is, I study from home most of the time, but attend university for two weeks full-time each semester. As my Alma Mater is 'up North', this requires flights, accommodation and is an awesome, slightly expensive adventure.

Seeing as last time I spent most of the time at death's door, I'm excited to attend again next week. 

***No sushi!***



Also good? This time The Programmer is coming with me (squeeeee!). He has booked a hire car and has plans to spend the week checking out everything picturesque around Palmy. While I'm attending labs and lectures. *pouts*.

Before I leave, I have two massive assignments to complete - one on sports nutrition and the other about water fluoridation (the pro's, the con's, the human rights and treaty issues). I don't know if it's the lingering caffeine withdrawals, but I've had a really hard time putting them together. I really need to haul ass over the next four days.  Fuelled by?

Maca Rounds


This is exactly the same recipe as the Maca Bars, except that I dispensed with the soaking step - no soaking of the prunes, I just used the 'pulse' function to turn them to mush (thanks for that idea Lou). I also left out the almond meal because I was out and used maple syrup instead of honey. The white sheen is the coconut oil, which was melted with the maple syrup and tastes of it.

Being in a super hurry this week, I could not be bothered with cutting them up so just used a silicon  muffin tray instead and pressed the mix into it. 



Any palm readers out there?

I will add some protein for the next batch, as the Maca Rounds are low in it (just 1.5g protein each), and see how that works out.

Well, the weather just started with an amazing thunder storm that had the kitties staring wide eyed out the window* and made me leap off my seat with surprise at a massive thunder clap (I thought it might be an EQ). The sensible thing to do now is go finish dinner (venison, parsnip bake and broccoli), then curl up in bed with a relaxing pile of ... research papers on water fluoridation. What? 

*Razzy slept through it. Nothing moves the mountain when it is sleeping.

6 comments:

  1. YUM... these look delicious (love coconut oil!) and how I love my food processor, seriously, cannot live without it. Pulse mode is magic.

    Stay away from the sushi for SURE ick.

    ooooo I LOVE a good storm ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my processor too. It's the benchtop beast. It has a hard life, but just keeps going.. through almond butter, date mashing and anything else I throw at it.

      Delete
  2. I recently bought some maca powder and absolutely LOVE the taste. Sort of malty and earthy and strangely wonderful. These look so good and I love the idea of making them in a muffin tin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like it at first but now I do. In this creation you don't even taste it. Even the taste tester didn't notice 'anything odd' in there. Silicon bakeware is definitely the schizz for sticky stuff.

      Delete
  3. Maca is amazing stuff. I can't say why I like it so much, or maybe I can? It's about lead and pencils. Get it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:39 am

    Made and devoured. These are really too easy, and you can't taste the maca at all (IMO, definitely a plus).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.