Sunday, July 15, 2012

Happenings and Silliness

This post is really just a bunch of silliness. I'm flying off to university for a week tomorrow and really should be packing, or looking for my plane tickets, or confirming my accommodation. But, here I am, and seeing as Fit to Blog is apparently about fitness and healthiness, I will mention a little waistline related event.

It's a funny thing, having lost a bunch of weight. It comes with some crazy headspace, I tell ya. One of the things that I can't seem to let go of is the fear of trying something on that I haven't worn for a while.  I procrastinate. I talk to myself. I tell myself that if it doesn't fit, that's ok, I'll handle it, I won't be upset, it's just one of those things.



Last night, The Programmer and I went to the movies to see Prometheus. I enjoyed it, which was surprising, considering it was full of icky aliens and creepy talking decapitated android people. But first, I had to "Find Something To Wear".

I decided to try a hand-painted hemp skirt that I haven't worn for at least six years, and last time I did, it pinched me viciously in the waist. After psyching myself up for about an hour, I was so thrilled when not only did I get it over my hips, but the zip slid up without resistance. While The Programmer was showering, I attempted to self-photograph the outfit.

Pfft. How people do this and make it look ok is beyond me.


Yes, I know I should clean the mirror, but I can't. The grubby marks are where Miss J spent time smooching herself when she was dressed up for The Programmer's birthday party. It's so cute to remember her standing there, kissing her reflection and saying 'you look goooorgeous today'. A bit of self-love is a healthy thing, yes?

I tried again


and again (haha, don't tell me you've never spent time messing around with the self-portrait mode on your phone, it's a thing girls are programmed to do)


then noticed there was something going on behind me


Cats and boxes, the most predictable thing in the universe. That's a box I'm slowly destroying for fire-lighting purposes. Razzy has claimed it. Because.. it's a box, and he's a cat. It must be.

That was yesterday. Today, I've been buzzing around like a blue-arsed fly trying to get everything organised with work before disappearing for a week.

Luckily, our neighbours Simone and Simon, who must be psychic, invited us for dinner. I made a dessert. It's an old favourite, a Nigella recipe (= tastebud overload). You can find it here. I gluten-free'd it by replacing the wheat flour with 70g almond meal and 100g rice flour.  It really is something.

You bake the cake, then pour a lemon syrup over it which takes about 15 minutes to soak it. The flavour is intense and perfect.

























I hope you have a fabulous start to the week. I will be filling my brain with all things nutritional and academicky. I'm not sure if blogging will be a go or not as Palmy was full by the time I finally organised my accommodation and I'm staying at a 'cash only' backpacker's hostel with no wi-fi (such conditions!).

Judging by the harassed, overbusy rudeness of the receptionist when I phoned, the experience may remind me of backpacking in say, Southern Italy or France. Must remember to pack a padlock. 

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Have FUN!! You know, like you did when you were a carefree student. Only perhaps with slightly less alcohol and slightly more studying. ;)

    Can you not set your phone up as a wifi modem thingie and connect your laptop to that? Don't ask me how that works, but I'm sure The Programmer could figure it out for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I forgot to say you look CUTE! xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.