Sunday, July 22, 2012

Gluten-Free, Vegan Chocolate Fudge Brownies

Exercise today? Housework, oh so much of it.  Nutrition? Well.. at about 3 pm I realised that all I'd eaten today was....


Brownies!



























I know.. it's a serious situation. But, I did get the recipe perfected and it's ready to share!



























Click here for the recipe with nutritional profile

and here for the recipe without. I know some of you don't like to mix up food with maths, and I really don't blame you.

These are really good. I've got a few packed up for snacks during the week. They contain banana, prunes, cranberries and chia seeds so pack a bit of nutrition along with the brownie-liciousness.


This is the first time I've really spent time testing, re-testing and getting a recipe exactly 'right' (whatever that means). The result is a little more complicated than my usual 'throw three things in a bowl' effort, but please give it a go and let me know what you think.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my... these are on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please try and let me know if they need any adjustment. I'm quite happy with the recipe but it would be great to know it works for someone else too! BTW, my first attempt at macarons? well...they all kind of melted together on the tray.. spread out and became one, big, multicoloured sheet. Will try again next week. Something in the technique, I think..

      Delete
  2. I love you more now (:
    Thanks for these! Yummo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome ((hugs)). My nutrition studies are making me kind of nutty about plant foods, so you'll be seeing more of them. Kind of nice not to be giving people a dose of sat fats with their cacao. :D

      Delete
  3. Oh, m'gosh. Holy yum! These look divine! xoxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Good on ya for seeing out the experiment.... they look delicious! Hooray for vegan baking :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @sara and @lou. Any ideas what to use instead of the vege shortening. It worked well, but probably not an ingredient that everyone can easily get their hands on. I might have to try another batch and just use olive oil. Seeing as my 'put aside for snacks' brownies seem to have become mysteriously depleted, I might need to whip up another batch today anyway.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, should be a '?' in there. Any ideas what to use instead of the vege shortening?

      Delete
    3. Hmmm... try nut butter and/or coconut oil. I'd poke around some vegan blogs for ideas. Try this: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?search_term=brownie&ui=133

      And this: http://plantpoweredkitchen.com/recipe-page/?recipe_id=6026209

      Angela at Oh She Glows and Dreena typically don't use shortening or even much vegan butter in their recipes, so studying their brownies would probably be helpful!

      Delete
  5. That looks totally evil... but delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.