Monday, June 18, 2012

Belated Foodie Friday

Firstly, thanks so much for all your nice comments on my last post. 

I think it's not unusual for people to feel overwhelmed with the pace of life these days. It's the competing demands that gets me most wound up. While I'm working, I'm losing study time; while I'm studying I'm losing work time; while I'm working out I'm not doing either of those things, and housework? What's that? Friends and family? Yes, I'm sure I have some, and hopefully they remember who I am!

This weekend saw an influx of family for my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary. There was a big party last night, but Saturday was a family dinner. I cleared the schedule for an hour and did something I've been dreaming about: making a pumpkin pie.



My Aunty Kathy released to me her special recipe, which of course I'm now plastering all over the internets. This one is neither vegan, nor low in anything; it's pure indulgence. I'm sure someone clever could veganise it up. If you do that, send me a link.

Aunty Kathy's Caramel Pumpkin Pie



Ingredients

Shortcake Base
125g butter
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup (or other sugar syrup, preferably caramalised or 'burnt')
1 ½ cups flour (use rice flour for a gluten-free version or mix it up – I used 1 cup rice flour and ½ cup almond meal)
1 tsp baking powder


Pumpkin Filling
2 cups cooked, mashed pumpkin
2 eggs
2 dsp flour (as above – for gluten-free use white rice flour or corn starch)
1 cup milk (for dairy free use almond milk)
2 dsp golden syrup (or other sugar syrup, preferably caramalised or 'burnt')
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
½ tsp ginger
pinch nutmeg

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 180°
Grease a pie dish – any size is fine. The pie will just be fatter in a narrower dish.
Base
Cream butter, sugar and golden syrup together. I did this over low heat on the oven, although the correct way is to use a double boiler or metal bowl settled in some hot water.
Add the flour and baking powder. Combine. It should be almost, but not quite crumbly. You need to be able to press it into the pie dish. If it looks too thin, add more flour.
Press the mix into the greased pie dish, including up the sides, and prick it all over with a fork.
Bake for approximately half an hour or until it looks slightly coloured. It will still be quite soft.
Filling
Combine all filling ingredients in a food processor and pour on top of the cooked base. I was alarmed at how runny the mix was, but it turned out fine.
Bake for about 45 minutes. It should be quite firm and slightly golden on top.
Eat while still warm with yogurt, cream or icecream




Make it, you won't regret it. :D

4 comments:

  1. What are you trying to do to meeeee????? I'm supposed to be losing some weight here. I guess a small piece would be ok. Contains veggies anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. pumpkin is definitely veges :D

      Delete
  2. I should not have looked at this.. si flippen yummy I want to roll in it with my mouth open.. I know so wrong I'm sorry for that..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got an even easier 'no bake' pumpkin pie waiting in the wings for a blog post. But yes, this is fabulous...

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.