Monday, March 12, 2012

I have done a thing..

NO!
The fam has taken off up North for a week, leaving me behind to get on with study and Sana stuff.

I decided instead that it was time for elimination diet 2012. I've done some crazy elimination diets (like this one) in the past, but this was pretty low-key. I don't have any pressing health concerns, but wanted to clean out the coffee and wine receptors.

Decaf. It always surprises me how badly my body reacts when I deny it the usual caffeine infusion. This time was no better than usual. 




It's been a week. I'm still a bit foggy in the head, and .. I cracked today while in the airport. The smell of espresso was calling me as if I was the undead and it was human blood.  

This caff-detox I've had it all: aching muscles, inability to concentrate and random attacks of jetlag-like sleepiness. 

Source

My productivity extended only to somehow blowing up our 5-times used, new microwave. This time, I also suffered serious digestive problems. As in, nausea and pain after eating. Saturday morning I was creeping around with a big tummy ache and decided that this couldn't be caffeine withdrawals. I theorised that I was probably dying of something drastic. I tested my theory with an espresso and ta-daaah! the pain vanished. Weird, huh? 

I have a hyperactive caffeine receptor.  :D 

Today I'm nearly out of the caffeine withdrawal woods, and intend to moderate future consumption. There are two main reasons I deemed it necessary to torture myself in this way: 1. I have more consistent energy when I'm not fully caff'd, and 2. I get fewer sugar cravings.

There is an interesting abstract here which discusses briefly the possibility of entering caffeine withdrawal into the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) as a true psychiatric condition. It is already included in the DSM as a causative agent of Caffeine Induced Sleep Disorder. Seeeee? I'm not just making this stuff up.

Last night I brightened my dire mood by almost perfecting the sugar-free fruit crumble.


The plums in it are from our tree and the apples are from my Grandparents orchard. It is as if nature has decreed that Autumn is the season on plum and apple crumble. The recipe just needs a little more tweaking before I post it. 

Let's talk about: caffeine.
Are you a fan?
Those that have gone decaf: Did you get noticeable withdrawal symptoms? 
(perhaps I am just being a wuss..). :D

*********************************

Coming soon: a mini review of what science says about breakfast eating and fatloss. There are a few surprises!

17 comments:

  1. I have decided that I'm just going to live my life using coffee as a crutch. I am a failed caffeine giver-upper. Without my three cups a day I just can't function. Sad isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, I think that's probably the case for 95% of the population, therefore, no shame. :) Maybe humans actually need caffeine - like food and water.

      Delete
  2. The last time I de-caffed was pretty ugly. Headache, fogginess and feeling like I was coming down with something. I don't plan on doing it again. I'll just stick to my two-a-day. Three, if nobody's watching. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having an espresso machine doesn't really help the situation, does it? I just decided to bite the bullet this time. The machine has decaf beans in it... Jase has not noticed. ;) So far.

      Delete
    2. O_O You are EVIL. I'd be divorced in no time. He would notice....

      Delete
    3. Jase has an espresso machine in his office, so I think he just tops up once he gets there ;)

      Delete
  3. A couple of years ago I went to Camp Eden (a health retreat) on the Gold Coast. They have no caffeine and no alcohol, as well as being vegetarian. I didn't think I was badly addicted to caffeine, and I'd even moderated my caffeine in the week before going as they recommended. In spite of this I ended up REALLY sick - I was going outside about half hourly to throw up! I couldn't believe it. That caffeine is hard stuff. I really looked like I was detoxing of something serious, but it was only coffee. I ended up begging for some herbs and stuff to stop me being sick.

    That was the worst I've ever been - headaches, body aches and throwing up. In spite of this I went back to caffeine :) I just make sure I have one a day and I'm mostly OK. I often have 2 or three, but I now have a cut off time of 3pm to ensure I sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I'm glad it's not just me that has a serious reaction! That sounds horrendous. I remember on my first caffeine detox I was awake for two nights because my whole body was aching. And yet, like you, I was not deterred from taking it up again! What's with that? At least this time I'm being realistic. I think that if I can keep it to about 4 a week, I'll be fine. :-/ Here's hoping.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sara,

    I found it hard to detox from Diet Coke - but a few Nurofen here and there and plenty of water did the trick! I still have one or two cups of tea a day though :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to develop a tea habit too. I only hear good things about it, even regular black tea.

      Delete
  5. I gave up diet coke (and therefore caffeine) last year and felt much better for it. Sadly I've been drinking it daily all year, so I'm about to try that. AGAIN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Luck! May the force be with you... ;)

      Delete
  6. Now and then I give up coffee, for financial reasons - I am a fan of Starbucks Venti. It never lasts, and every time I get 'flu like' symptoms (as they say in that study you linked to). Literally runny nose, sneezing, sinusy feeling. Can you imagine what society would look like if coffee suddenly became extinct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly drank less coffee when I was paying for each one! Now I have a machine and that's probably like letting a nicotine addict live in a tobacco shop, where everything is free. I think, if coffee went away, society would unravel completely. It would be anarchy and chaos, fo' sho'

      Delete
  7. alyssa10:45 am

    I am a long time reader, but first time commenter. This post has really made me see that I'm not the only one that has a really hard time giving up coffee and that makes me think it must be really bad for me! The biggest effect is a really down mood, short fuse and extreme bad temper! Not great when I've got little kids to deal with all day. I want to be happy mom, not bitch mom! I will try cutting down. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Alyssa. It's great to get some new comment love. Oh, did I forget to mention the grumpy mood?? Yes, I get that. Really, seriously.. it's not pretty.

      Delete
  8. Roslyn10:23 pm

    I just saw this post! I gave up coffee five years ago and have managed to stay off it! (am I the only one??). I feel much better, sleep better, my skin is better, it was a good move. It was very hard and took me about two months to really see the benefit and stop craving it. HANG IN THERE.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.