Monday, January 16, 2012

Buckwheat Pancakes

Healthy food should not be boring!

Noooo. Humans are designed to eat varied and enjoyable things and you can fight this instinct for only so long. Anyone that has gakked down poached chicken breast and broccoli in pursuit of defined abs will know this. After two weeks of that, even an artificially flavoured, fake chocolate protein bar with scary pink stuff inside begins to look like a serious treat. 

Yes, I do speak from experience. :D

Therefore, as part of a kick-ass Junkfree January, I've been experimenting in the kitch. One of my more user-friendly creations is this simple buckwheat pancake or crepe, which can hold its own as a savory or sweet item. First up, the recipe:




Buckwheat Crepes

Ingredients:

Makes one fat or two thin crepes.
  • 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup milk (of any sort - almond milk works wonderfully, but I used plain old organic cow's milk)
  • Pinch of salt
  • Water (for thinning further if necessary)
Optional additions to the batter depending on its intended fate:
  • Nutmeg
  • Cinnamon
  • Green herbs
Method:

1. Place the egg, salt and flour in a bowl and combine with a whisk

2. Add the milk slowly, whisking frequently, until desired consistency is achieved. It should be runny enough to pour. If it still looks too thick when all the milk is added, you can add more milk (if you don't mind messing with the nutrition data) or some water.

3. Cook it! The nutrition data, which is at the end of this post, allows 5g (1 tsp) of butter or oil. This should work in a non-stick pan. I don't have one of those, and therefore used a technique which may be described as death by butter. Do as I say, not as I do.

Swirl the oil around a moderately hot fry pan until the surface is coated then pour the batter on - either in one batch or two, it's up to you. Wait until the top bubbles and then flip it. This crepe holds together remarkably well for one without gluten. 

You might want to lift the edges now and then to make sure it's not overcooking under there before and after the flip. It should be a nice, pale golden colour at completion.

And what to do with your perfect, golden crepe?  You put stuff on it, roll it and eat it with a happy face. Here are two that I have swooned over. I also made one with berries, but forgot to whip out the LG.

Egg, avocado and shaved pecorino sheeps cheese





































Served with Kale Chips


Banana and almond butter, there is nutmeg in the crepe and cinnamon on the banana

You have seen this before. The rolled up version.

Smothered with yogurt, artfully placed over the bit that cracked up a bit when I rolled it :D

The food-nerdy stats are here. They could be quite calor-horrific by the time you add all the fillings. Remember, you can always exercise your right to make half the recipe or just... I dunno... save some for later?

Let me know how these work out for you and please comment if you have discovered any gluten-free-sugar-free fillings that made your soul hum with delight.  I know what I'd be adding to the banana/almond butter crepe if I wasn't sugar-free right now. Any guesses?









16 comments:

  1. Kerrynw7:49 pm

    Gee...um, let me think.... Chocolate?

    I like berries and ricotta in my pancakes, but I'd add some jam, honey or syrup. Not very helpful, am I? Sorry about that.

    I use buckwheat flour a lot and it always turns out well. LOVE the flavour too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. Am I so predictable? I'm going to try it on the 1st Feb. Ricotta sounds fab too, as does Marscapone.
    I'm interested in how you logged in to comment today, because I whitelisted you but still had to moderate this comment. Also there is no link to your site or blog showing with your comment. Did you do something different?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerrynw7:57 pm

    I didn't log in - it must remember me. Going by my avatar, I must have used Twitter to log in... Will try something else. Hang on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've updated my Disqus profile and set it to use my Gravatar, but I'm still seeing my Twitter avatar next to the comment box here. Let's see what happens when I click on "post".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, OK - it just updated when I logged out. (This is me again, by the way)... :) Complicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Testing blogger comment threading. Woahhhhh, this looks cool and very easy to use.. :D

      Delete
  6. Shelley Stark11:00 am

    Eating them as I type. Delicious! I've had buckwheat flour in the cupboard just waiting for another use other than the banana muffins I make with it and suddenly your recipe turns up a couple of days ago :). I halved the recipe and it's still huge :) but I forgot the salt :(. Served with natural crunchy peanut butter, banana and natural coconut yoghurt - very yummy in my tummy. Thanks. I think this will become a staple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't until after I'd posted the recipe that I realised it might be a bit massive. I hardly ever finish, but this is nothing unusual. I, you know, get distracted and wander off to do something else... concentration span of a budgie.

      Delete
  7. mmm, these look awesome! Weird fact about me - I dislike eating a plain banana, I love bananas in things. Ya. I know. This looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all forms of RAW banana, but I hate them cooked in any way. Banana cake = blech. Funny how people's preferences are different.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous10:22 am

    Hi Sara,

    I came across a comment you made on another blog - and it REALLY caught my attention. You discussed stevia and its possible negative health effects.
    This is quite troubling to me as I consume a lot of it daily (granted without fillers, but still...)
    Is there any articles or information you have that you could send my way?
    I'd appreciate it tremendously.
    (I am a recovering from an ED, so stevia has been a God-send, and although I realize there are many health benefits associated with raw honey - I am afraid of it)
    Anyways - thanks...
    -Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie,
      I think you must be referring to a comment I made when someone was discussing hormonal problems they were being treated for? I'm not sure. Anyway, the only negative health effect that I have read about from stevia is sub fertility (60-80% usual litter size in rats) at a dose equivalent to about 8 times what a 'heavy user' human would normally consume. It can also lower blood pressure, which may be good or bad, depending on your normal state!
      However, it should be noted that stevia these days has changed a lot, with the focus being on Rebaudioside A stevia. Therefore the old studies might not even be correct any more. No matter what, most studies on stevia show only a good effect. Most studies using sugar however..... very scary reading. I'd stick with the stevia.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous1:52 am

    Thanks so much for replying and for the information! Although I don't think it has anything to do with the stevia...I definitely have hormonal problems...But I agree 100% with you - it's sugar that's the major problem. Thanks again and have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe is very close to the French traditional galettes - they can be filled with ham, cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, salmon or pretty anything savoury or sweet. Sweet classic: banana + dark chocolate, salted caramel, jam... I recently made those from my own recipe for Gluten-intolerant friends, they all loved it! A really yum and easy GF recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This recipe is very close to the French traditional galettes - they can be filled with ham, cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, spinach, salmon or pretty anything savoury or sweet. Sweet classic: banana + dark chocolate, salted caramel, jam... I recently made those from my own recipe for Gluten-intolerant friends, they all loved it! A really yum and easy GF recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.