Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Rumbled

I was feeling a bit unhappy a few minutes ago, on account of being rumbled, twice. I was just in the kitchen, doing something with almonds like a normal person (more about these tomorrow)
when a .. 'noticeable' (I can't think how else to describe this one) aftershock came along and shook a few small things off the bench. Geonet tells me that was a 4.0, over in the Lyttelton area (epicentre of the Feb quake). Then I was resettling my nerves, doing a bit of pranayama, when a long, slow aftershock wiggled the house. This was not dramatic, but was long. The Programmer just Googletalked me that this was a 4.7, out in Rolleston, closer to the epicentre of the September quake last year. I think both these quakes are on the same faultline.

This increase in seismic activity is not fab. One is not amused.  

Look at that, these even made the news. As we have aftershocks frequently, the media hardly bother to report on them unless they are especially exciting and have caused a twitter landslide. Apparently 'we will rock you' was playing on the local radio. I guess mother nature loves Queen then?

It is not very helpful that today's little shakes come in the jetstream of another alarming prediction by The Moon Man. He is suggesting that the earthly and cosmic configuration of end of Sept 2011 might be right for a whopper. Awesome.  And for those who say that he is often wrong, I reply, he is not wrong often enough for my liking. 

There is only one thing for it.  Shopping. I feel an urgent need to restock the emergency supplies, preferably before most people finish work because there will probably be a little panic.  But first. Icecream.

A little word about my healthy icecream alternative. If it did not taste as good as regular icecream, I would just eat something organic and with few ingredients. I actually like these home-made ones far better, and I can alter the flavour to match my mood.

Essential ingredient: frozen bananas.
I tend to whack them with a heavy glass bottle before the food processor has a go at it.  Otherwise you get chunks of banana, which can be good or bad, depending on what you are aiming for.
The smashing activity also rids the body of unhelpful earthquake stress hormones.

Today's effort involved the following ingredients:

  • 100g frozen banana
  • 2 dsp unflavoured Sana WPC (**product placement alert** :D yes, but, I love it... BCAA's, calcium, protein and all that other good stuff). It is the addition of the whey that adds the creaminess, although you could leave it out and add more avocado for a vegan version.
  • 1/2 small avocado (healthy fats!)
  • 1/2 tsp maca (superfood!)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp raw honey
  • 2 tsp water
Blend for about a minute, or until it is smooth and icecreamy. If you overdo it, it will just become a smoothie instead. Mine was a little overblended as I thought I heard another aftershock coming and got a bit distracted.



And now I am seriously departing to take part in the mass emptying of the canned food shelves.  If I didn't believe it was impossible, I'd think that food shops pay someone to cause aftershocks. It is certainly good for their bottom line. 

And my question for you today (and it's a big one, so you know it's important): are you disaster ready? 

2 comments:

  1. It's been ages since I made frozen banana/whey ice cream - I am SO going to make this version today! I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand...

    Now excuse me; I need to go freeze some bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love banana ice cream! I'm sorry that you're still experiencing rumbles. It must be so scary. HOpefully the earth settles down soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Tell me what's in your brain, your heart or your dinner plate :D.